LEMPAUT PICNIC AREA
Situated on a low plateau overlooking the banks of the Sor, Lempaut is a predominantly agricultural commune. Beautiful buildings and castles, (including Padiès, a remarkable construction with Renaissance facades) are witness of a past steeped in history. In 1585, during the wars of religion, the town was divided into two parts: the fortified village and the barri (craft and worker suburb). In the 17th century, public utility buildings were erected, the church was enlarged and a presbytery was built. Numerous taxes caused the ruin of Lemaut area throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. The rural population performed a very hard work. During the 19th century, Lempaut owned several brickworks. The one of Montpeyroux ceased its activity around 1968.