BASSIN DU LAMPY PICNIC AREA
Arfons hides its slate roofs in the heart of the Montagne Noire, in the Parc Naturel Régional du Haut Languedoc. It owes its name (Orbi Fontes: hidden springs) to the many springs that surround it and which were the object of worship in Roman times. These springs form two streams, "Le Sor" and "L'Aiguebelle", which are the kingdom of the fario trout. Two hamlets, "Les Bastouls" and "Les Escudiés", surround the village, the starting point for many attractive walks. Around 1150, the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem built a fort, a hospital and a "sauveté" which is the origin of the present village. In the 17th century, it was while travelling on horseback through the vast Ramondens forest that Pierre-Paul RIQUET had the brilliant idea of capturing part of the waters of the Alzeau and neighbouring streams to feed the Canal du Midi. For a long time a refuge for brigands and cattle thieves holding the merchants and villagers of "la plaine" to ransom, Arfons is today a peaceful village which welcomes every year many tourists attracted by the calm, the summer freshness, the walks in the forest and the beauty of the landscapes.